The Ataköy Beach, which was created in 1956-1957 as part of the Ataköy Coastal Housing Complex beside the Sirkeci-Florya Coastal Road; is a product of the policies of the Democratic Party between 1950-1960, which attached great importance to urban renewal projects. It was located on an area of 4 million square-meters. The T. Emlâk ve Kredi Bankası (Land and Credit Bank of Turkey), which owned the land; held a project competition in 1955. The area was reorganized according to the projects that won this competition. The Ataköy Beach was planned as a motel, beach and camping complex that would “meet the Istanbulites’ need for beaches and entertainment in the most modern manner.” The surrounding motels, which were built as a continuation of the Ataköy Beach, were opened in 1959.
Curated by Zafer Toprak Istanbul’s Seaside Leisure: Nostalgia from Sea Baths to Beaches exhibition can be visited at Pera Museum and İstanbul Research Institute until August 26th!